Sterling silver: Maintenance tips and advice
What is massive silver?
Also known as solid silver, sterling silver, or 925 silver, this type of alloy is made of 92,5% pure silver, with other metals added, usually copper.
Without the addition of these other metals, silver in pure form would be far too malleable and far too difficult to work with. Silver used in jewelry is usually coated with a thin layer of rhodium-plated metal, which gives it a lighter color and a brighter appearance.
Why choose silver?
Silver is one of the most common metals used in jewelry. What makes it so popular?
Silver is by far the most readily available precious metal.
It is inexpensive, it allows all budgets to buy high quality jewelry.
Silver is a neutral colored metal that can showcase almost any stone.
Money is easy to wear. Her discreet color makes it the metal of choice for people who are new to jewelry.
Thus, it is the ideal metal for the first piece of jewelry or for a man's jewel.
How do I take care of my silver jewelry?
Our advice for maintaining your silver jewelry:
The good news is that it is possible to slow down the fading of silver and even restore it to its original shine.
To slow down the oxidation of silver, please follow the following principles:
- Absolutely avoid any contact with water. When you shower or wash your hands, be sure to remove any silver jewelry. by following these tips you will be able to considerably extend the life of your jewelry.
- It is important to clean your jewelry regularly. To restore your silver jewelry yourself, you may think of cleaning it with silver cleaner. The result is not always the height and you risk accidentally damaging the stones in addition to using products that are corrosive to the skin.
We offer a complete cleaning of your jewelry at an attractive price, by an artisan jeweler.
- Finally, if you want to remove scratches from silver jewelry, you can of course re-polish it and then have it rhodium plated by a professional. We also offer this service at 58 Facettes.
What we advise you to avoid:
Use a toothbrush to clean your silver jewelry? Especially not! THEa toothbrush will scratch your jewelry! Prefer a soft cloth, which is as effective as a toothbrush but will not scratch.
- Keep her jewelry to sleep? We do not recommend it either. At night, we move a lot and it is easy to break a thin chain or deform a bracelet!
- Why not clean your jewelry with detergent? Because household products contain chemicals that accelerate the oxidation of jewelry.